Sunday, February 17, 2019

I Choose Beneficial

Created using Canva.com
Two years ago I embarked on a weight loss journey and within six months I lost 45 pounds, gaining back my energy and youth. After watching the number on the scale steadily increase year after year,  I was beyond exhilarated when I finally found a plan that helped me win the battle of the bulge. The plan required me to eat my choice of shakes, bars or other prepackaged meals five times per day and a lean and green meal I usually prepared at home. The program promised that if I followed the plan with fidelity, the weight would come off quickly and safely. Day after day, I checked off my daily food and water requirements and sure enough within a few months, I was at my goal weight and had accomplished what I had unsuccessfully tried for many years. It was certainly difficult at times, but attaining a goal that I had pretty much given up on fueled my determination and strengthened my resolve.

But once I embarked on the maintenance journey, I had to develop a sustainable plan that would fit into my family's lifestyle. While the weight loss plan promised quick results, it also discouraged vigorous exercise because it was a very low-calorie plan. I was now able to eat anything, but not everything was beneficial - that is if I wanted to keep the weight off.  Without an exercise plan, once I expanded my menu, so did my waistline. I quickly realized that I had to get serious about my fitness and nutritional choices.

Education, just like health and wellness, is all about choices. There are lots we can add to our plate that while may be good and acceptable, may not actually be effective. From differentiation strategies to technology tools, just because we can, doesn't mean we should. Just because it's available and meets criteria on the list doesn't mean it's beneficial.

Last December as I began pondering on my "word" for 2019, the verse pictured above kept coming to mind. I often quote it when I'm trying to steer my family and friends away from poor choices (especially dietary), but it's my go-to verse for keeping myself on track. While the verse may have been written to address the spiritual issues of the day, this verse applies to choices I make in every area of my life - personal, professional, relational, nutritional as well as spiritual.

For 2019, I want to step up my game and not just get by checking off the boxes on my list. I want to rewrite the list. I want to make sure that what I do is truly beneficial, even if that may or may not have immediate, measurable results. In fact, we all know that change doesn't always produce instantaneous results, but that shouldn't stop us from challenging the status quo and pursuing that which is most beneficial in the long run.



No comments:

Post a Comment