Saturday, November 9, 2019

Thankful for the Starfish

Have you ever had one of those days when you feel like you are spinning wheels and going nowhere? Whether you are a classroom teacher, an administrator, or in a supportive or coaching role, we all have those days. Sometimes, it's not just a bad day, but a bad week, month or year. Perhaps you may be wondering if you should explore other career opportunities, or you may have considered leaving the education profession altogether. While I haven't felt lead to explore opportunities outside education, there certainly have been many times when I'm not sure I am making a difference. And then when I find myself hanging by a thread, someone - a student, a colleague, or a supervisor - will say something that will turn everything around and will help me reclaim my calling. Even if I impact one life, I know that my work is not in vain. What I find fascinating is that once I realize I am making an impact, I suddenly find that I am actually touching many lives.

Image Source Unknown

It's November and I've committed to practicing gratitude and looking for good things around me and blogging about it. Cultivating an attitude of gratitude will not usually change my circumstances, but it does shift my perspective and alter my reaction to challenges, which in turn do sometimes change my reality. 

So, my fellow educator, as you go about your day, I challenge you to search for that one starfish in your building, focus on saving that one life, and be thankful for the impact you’re having. Whether it may be a student or a colleague, let this person reignite your passion for teaching and learning. I'm certain that once you find that one, you will soon realize you are making a difference in countless lives.
Image Credit: Reader's Digest


1 comment: